Archive for the ‘Projects’ Category

Vintage Metal Chair Refinish Part 1

image

I bought a pair on vintage metal chairs for only $12 each. I’ve wanted a full set of these all my life! They were so cheap because they needed paint and had dent in each seat. I went out a bit ago with a hammer and with a few smacks the dent popped back into place!! Whoa!

I started by taking a wire brush and a metal scraper and removed all the loose paint and roughed up the finish all over. My plan was to unbolt it and paint each piece then reassemble but the bolts have rusted into place. Oh well.

After throughly roughing up and scraping, and my arm about falling off, I got a quality white primer spray paint and painted all over the bottom of the chair and legs. I’m letting that dry before I flip it over and paint the other side. Just the bottom part including legs took almost a whole can of primer. This is not going to be a cheap of a project as I thought but at least I’m using a paint that will last and protect.

image

image

I just went out and flipped chair over and primered the front. I live this paint. It actually fills in any imperfections on the surface!
image

And here are the two chairs side by side. The one on the right now fully primered. Amazing!
image

I wrapped the arms in plastic and tape. I almost forgot to take a picture so that is why you see some paint on the bottom.
image

image
Then I did first coat of paint starting with the bottom and back.P I Using Rustoleum 2X spray paint in Satin color Lagoon. After that dried then I did a second coat. After that dried I set it upright. My husband came along and joined in on the fun.
image
I let him put two coats on with drying between. Here is the photo of it now. I’m gonna let it cure overnight and see if it needs another coat of paint in the morning.
image

Stay tuned to see how they turn out!

Advertisements

Vintage/New Porch Swing Cushions

I got a porch swing from my hubby last Christmas. It was great but needed cushions. I can’t afford to pay for high dollar cushions so I made my own. First I found the perfect vintage curtain fabric at a yard sale for $1!

image

Then I bought a full size egg crate mattress topper and cut in half. Then I folded those two pieces in half and weighted down with heavy books overnight until the creased well. The next day I ran a strip of silicone across the long side. Then I weighted them down till it dried. So now I had two double thick cushions.

Next thing I did was with a seam ripper remove all stitching and pleating from the curtains. Then I washed them to get the starch and the mothball smell out of them. And prayed they didnt fall apart. They are a cotton blend linen.

Came out fine so I shook the wrinkles out and hung on the line. After they were dry I laid the fabric out on the floor and measured the fabric out and folded over like wrapping a present. Only difference was tucking in raw edges. My sewing machine is out of needles so the long horizontal seam I fastened with permenant fabric glue. For each smaller in I hand sewed each side in a hem stitch.

I set them on the bench and noticed the two layers shifted in the cushion. So I found the thick quilting thread and tacked the layers together in three places on each cushion. Later I will add ties and maybe make some coordinating throw pillows. Ta Dah! Total cost $1 vintage fabric $11 foam mattress pad (egg crate). Silicone, thread and needle I had already.

image

Willow Branch Lattice

I made a willow branch lattice. I used bailing wire to secure the limbs to each other. I built it to shade the tomato plants from our harsh afternoon sun. I planted cucumber seeds so they can grow up the lattice. I really hope it works. If not it still looks nice.

image

image

image

Homemade Laundry Soap (Powder)

My friend Laura passed along this recipe and it works just as good or better than Tide. We have horribly hard water that leaves a reddish tan color to whites unless we use the name brand laundry soap. This makes everything clean and white without adding extra bleach!

image

Costs about $24. You can get even cheaper if you use coupons. Of course I found a $2 off Purex later on. I mix up in a plastic three gallon bucket I got in the Walmart bakery department. I wash a minimum of three loads of laundry a day. Weekends even more. This lasted us a little over a month!

Xeroscaping Project

My daughter and I are working on a Xeroscape garden at each corner of our driveway. Xeroscape plants require very little water and are drought tolerant. Since we don’t have money in the budget for plants I have been collecting plants from friends. So far I got lots of baby agave, a few spineless cactus, and one red yucca. I’d really like to get more bricks to line it but will make do with what we have. Until I get the dirt level raised (the bed in kinda a low spot) I transplanted the baby agave in my daughter’s flower bed. Hopefully she won’t mind. 🙂

Chicken Pen Finished!!!

image

image

image

Here’s the boys. I mean young men, sorry. With their beautiful chicken pen! The birds have now been in their new containment/occupational unit Lol for over a day now. The first day they stayed close together moving as a group because they were used to over crowded conditions. By that evening they were exercising their wings. I need to get a top on before they learn to fly. Lol.

Things we still need to do are finishing painting the untreated wood. Build a chicken house. Add some type of shade. Get bigger waterers. And figure out nesting boxes. After that I need to repair other chicken pen. Also and a top and more shade.

New Chicken Pen

If you’re a long time reader you might remember I did a trade with a friend who lived in the city but wanted to raise chickens. She bought me some chicks when she bought hers. She provides feed. Her boys came a built a pen. It’s almost done now. Just gotta finish stretching the top row of wire and then build a house.

image

image

image

image