Repurposed T-shirts Costume Infant Edition!

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

I really got creative with this one. I bought a pair of green 6x girls stretch pants because I couldn’t find the right color green. I then got an infant size green t-shirts from a resale shop for free. I found a women’s large green tshirt at a yard sale for. 50 and a. Oval pillow for. 50. I also used a brown t-shirt of mine I didn’t wear anymore. I did have to buy some felt, two tone fleece for shell accent but that only ran 2.50.

I put leggings on the baby cutting off the extra length he didn’t need. I then cut a v shape out of the front and waistband. I sewed that up to make it fit his waist. Then sewed the bottom of the legs into turtle toes. I used the extra length I cut off legs of pants to make long sleeves on the short sleeve shirt. Be sure to use a zigzag sag stitch. No serger needed.

I then took the women’s large shirt and covered the oval pillow. I cut out the two tone fleece and made turtle scales on the shell and a line around the edge. My daughter took a brown Sharpie and did the detailing. We cut out strips of brown felt for the belt We glued the fleece and felt on with fabric glue.

I then took my brown t-shirts and cut small strips and hand sewn them to the shell at the top where his shoulders will be. I then took dark brown felt cutting two pieces into a somewhat oval shape. I then cut a tan color felt into belly “scales”. I glued them on but then machine sewed the scales on one piece of brown felt. I cut cardstock paper a little smaller than dark brown felt. I then sandwinched two pieces of brown felt with cardstock between. I glued it but went ahead and sewed around the edge.

I attached felt belt to only one side of the front of shell, leaving other tie of belt hanging for now.  I sewed the brown tshirt ties to the shell front at shoulders. So to put on he just slides over head and we just attached belt ties together on the front with a badge made of felt with a safety pen glued and sewn to back.

I then decided he needed a hood. I got crescent scraps of green fabric from the once large size tshirt. I used the neck cuff to be the edging of his hood that circled his face. Once I played around with it getting right length and fit I sewed the hood the now long sleeve infant tshirt.

I decided it was too loose so I got some thin elastic and did a tiny cut only on back side of neck cuff. I inserted elastic inside and around fitting it the right length. Tried it on again and it looked great!

I then used a red spandex bookcover to make a bandana. I tacked it by handsewing to the hood so it wouldn’t slip. I used oval pieces of felt sandwiched together along with scrap brown tshirt for the ties and made knee and elbow pads. I used another long strip of brown tshirt to tie his turtle feet like sandals. Oh yeah I rolled up a baby sock and put it in the little turtle toe.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: